Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Ten Best Foods I Had Over Thanksgiving Break

*Disclaimer: I was home for a LONG time, but nevertheless still ate lots of delicious food.

10. Collection of tapas from Tapas Gitana: My mom and I went to this restaurant the day before thanksgiving. As a former Barcelona study abroad student, whenever we go for tapas, I get the honors of ordering. I chose stuffed mushrooms, Garlic Bread with roasted tomato dipping sauce, Patatas Bravas(traditional oven roasted potatoes with spicy and ali-oli sauce...my favorite!), tilapia with vegetables, and crepes stuffed with spinach, apples, and pine nuts. This was a great meal(although our sangria was awful, but you win some you lose some)

9. Luau Salad with seared tuna from Cheesecake Factory: This salad is perfect, I am not even kidding. I substitute chicken for seared tuna(which is spicy and delicious) which is topped on a huge bed of lettuce with green beans, peppers, carrots, crunchy crisps(I actually have no idea what it is but it is so good), and topped with delicious dressing. If you haven't ordered it, you are missing out(aka get it ASAP)

8. Homemade Spinach Artichoke Dip: I cooked my first artichoke dip for this years thanksgiving. I mixed frozen spinach and canned artichokes with mayo, lemon juice, cream cheese, spices, and more. It sounds like a gross combo, but it was delicious, warm, creamy, and a great addition to my stacy's multigrain pita chips.

7. Pad Thai from Stir Crazy: I usually make my own stir fry at this restaurant, but I decided to be 'lame' and get pad thai. This was far from a mistake. The tofu and veggies are perfectly cooked and accompanied by some of the most delicious noodles that I have ever tasted. This dish made me rethink my "usual'; i think I am going to order this more often.

6. Nana's Homemade Kugel: What would a Jewish thanksgiving be without Kugel? Nana obviously has to cook her Kugel for any holiday occasion or really as often as possible. I do not mind this at all because it is sweet, filling, and one of my favorite foods in the entire world.

5. Nana's Homemade Jello: My nana also makes a strawberry-banana cream jello. It is almost the consistency of mousse, but less sweet and more fruity. I need to get the recipe from her(if shell ever share it) because I could live off this jello. She tops it with fresh fruit and it is truly amazing as a side, dessert, breakfast, etc.

4. Homemade Baked Brie: I also cooked my first brie pastry this week. Take a sheet of puff pastry and plase one wheel of brie on it. Then, spread fresh preserves(i chose raspberry) on top of brie. If desired, add toasted almonds and wrap up the pastry. Then, cook for 30 minutes at 425 degrees. You will be amazed!


3. Shawarma from Mizrahi Grill: The best way for me to describe Shawarma is like an Israeli burrito...but better. At Mizrahi, the cook takes fresh laffa bread(which is basically like naan but better in my opinion and thinner too) and adds a mix of lamb and turkey meat in addition to fries, tahina, hummus, and israeli salad. It is so good and a dish everyone should try at any Israeli/Middle Eastern establishment.

2. Mom's Homemade Stuffing: My mom makes stuffing, just like many moms, but hers is special. She uses ritz crackers instead of bread which gives it a different flavor. She used to eat it as a kid and I like it so much better. Another dish I need to learn how to make!

1. Lou Malnati's Spinach and Garlic Deep Dish Pizza: I actually eat this every time I go home. Lou's is one of my favorite deep dish pizza places in my area. Add spinach and garlic to their delicious crust and perfect deep dish creation, and you have one of the best meals ever. Thankfully, they freeze their pizzas and after four years of begging my mom to send me one to make my finals week(s) a little less awful, she finally has agreed to send a few in the upcoming weeks. Needless to say, I cannot wait!

3 comments:

  1. The luau salad (no carrots or macadamias) and I have been in a serious relationship since the day it was put on the menu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT so glad you appreciate its greatness

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of this sounds delicious! My mom does a homemade dressing from cornbread. You should try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete