Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cuban Cuisine in Ann Arbor

This past weekend, I visited University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. I have been a Michigan fan since birth and had never been to campus, so I figured that not was as good of a time as ever to trek to the arctic(well, it wasn't arctic yet, but still really cold) of Michigan and see the campus. Between exploring the town and an amazing football game, we found time to venture to a great cuban restaurant. My best friend Jamie, who goes to Michigan, had never been to Cafe Habana, which is apparently a beloved Cuban restaurant off campus. We had to wait about 45 minutes to sit down, which made me think that they either were really slow or really popular(thankfully, it was that they are really popular). 

We sat down, each ordered our diet cokes per usuals, and scanned the appetizer menu. Immediately, we all voiced our interest in ordered the baked goat cheese with roasted tomatoes and corn tortilla chips. During our wait, we had seen numerous waiters and waitresses walk past with some sort of cool cheese dip, so we figured this must be it. When i say that this was SO GOOD, I am under-exaggerating.  This was probably one of the best appetizers I have ever had. The cheese was perfectly melted with just the right amount of creamy, roasted tomato sauce, with tiny bits of actual tomatoes in it as well. It was delicious.


For my meal, I ordered the mahi-mahi special. I am still confused as to what exactly accompanied it besides potatoes and really cool miscellaneous sauces, but whatever it was, it was delicious.
A Pictures Worth A Thousand Words: Mahi Mahi

I didn't take a picture of my friend Jamie's sandwich because it was boring, but my friend Sammi ordered a really cool dish called Ropas Viejas.

This dish consisted of spicy beef in a tomato sauce with yellow rice and fried plantains. I tasted the plantains and they were really interesting: different from any plantains I had ever tasted before. Nevertheless, they were really good. 

If you are ever in Ann Arbor, check out Cafe Habana for delicious food and a fun time!

 

5 comments:

  1. yum cuban. i had some great cuban last week at this place in new york called cafe con leche. its some of my favorite food -- and this place looks great. http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-con-leche-new-york

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize that you are providing a valuable service by talking about restaurants in different cities all the time, but could you stop now? I'd like to actually be able to get to eat some of the amazing food you talk about.

    Sincerely,
    Hungry and Frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks jordan!!

    Sarah, I wish i could like your comment. I guess we can go eat together in DC...haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jordan! This is fantastic! If I end up living in Michigan I will check this place out!

    ReplyDelete