Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thunder Burger: My Georgetown Obsession

Keeping a vegetarian diet when eating out in a city with so many delicious and famous burger establishments can be difficult at times. Between Bobby Flay's Burger Palace and Goodstuff Eatery, I am often very tempted to try a bite of these renowned burger creations. Instead, I've made it a point to search for good vegetarian burger options. When I found out one of my favorite restaurants in Georgetown, New's Cafe, was being transformed from an Italian Eatery to yet another burger restaurant, I was initially far from a happy camper.
RIP NEWS CAFE!(image courtesy of google.com)
However, I finally brought myself to try its replacement, Thunder Burger & Bar, sometime last fall.  I ordered a seared tuna burger called "O, Fortuna"(all of the gourmet burger names are titles of songs...very clever!). Seared tuna has become one of my favorite foods since I began keeping kosher about three years ago. Combine a seared ahi tuna fillet on a whole wheat bun topped with caramelized red onion relish, watercress, tomato, and wasabi mayo with a side of sweet potato fries and a small side of ranch dressing, and you have one of my favorite meals in Washington DC.

Image courtesy of google.com
Now, I am delighted that Thunder Burger replaced my former favorite Georgetown restaurant. In addition to great burgers, the restaurant also has great appetizers(my personal favorite are the nachos) and great beer(many drafts and bottled choices). I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone!

Not convinced? Check out this blogger's review of Thunder Burger as well!

5 comments:

  1. THIS IS MY GEORGETOWN OBSESSION TOO. sorry about the caps-- I get a little excited sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they also have some kind of roasted vegetable sandwich which is a good vegetarian option. My friends have had a few salads there that look pretty great as well.

    Also, on the topic of vegetarian burger options, the Shake Shack Shroom Burger is amazing. It's a fried mushroom stuffed with muenster cheese. Words don't do it justice - you have to try it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was heart broken when News Cafe left (they took Gworld too! Bah!), so I've stayed away from the replacement eatery. But now you've convinced me to give it a try - I'm a sucker for a good tuna burger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seared tuna !!! Though I must mourn my departure from Los Angeles.... Does keeping kosher for you mean staying Veggie while eating out, or is it both?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only eat veggie out(i cook kosher meat at home) but eating out wise this means a lot of seared tuna!

    ReplyDelete