Monday, October 17, 2011

Love Found at Founding Farmers

This weekend and throughout this week, three of my closest friends from home are visiting me in DC. Amongst the museums, monuments, and tours of different neighborhoods, I obviously budgeted in time to visit some of my favorite restaurants. About a month ago, I sent my friends the menu from Founding Farmers, explaining to them about how it was one of my favorite restaurants in Washington DC and it was imperative that we go.


When we arrived at the restaurant, everyone was pleased with the decor. We sat in a circular booth near the dessert bar. After looking through the drink menu, we decided that we each would order a different cocktail.
Fraise Fling: Strawberry, Lychees, Organic Vodka, Agave, Prosecco 
Streetcar Named Decanton:Kubler Absinthe, Domaine de Catnon, Mint Syrup, Ginger, and Lime Juice 
La Paloma: Tierra Organic Blanco Tequila, Grapefruit and Lime Juices, Agave Nectar, Topped with Mezcal

The Clementine: Clementine and chili-infused Reposado Tequila, Benedictine,
Lime and Pineapple Juices, Agave Nectar
I ordered the clementine, which was probably the most interesting drink I've ever had. It was extremely spicy, but it was lined with sugar to balance the flavors. After drinks, we ordered skillet corn bread, which is baked to perfection in a skillet as shown bellow.






The bread is crispy and extremely delicious, accompanied by honey butter that is topped with crystalized sugar and sea salt. Each of the main courses were also extremely unique and tasty. My friend Sammi and I both ordered the roasted butternut squash-mascarpone ravioli accompanied by sage brown butter. It was sweet, creamy, and all around delicious.






My friend Ali ordered my other favorite dish, spicy ahi tuna poke salad. With raw Ahi Tuna, Napa Cabbage, Avocado, Fried Wonton, and a Tangy Ginger-Sesame Vinaigrette. Additionally, my friend Traci ordered the gouda-cheddar gratin macaroni and chesse, which was also wonderful(probably one of the best macaroni and cheese dished that I have ever tasted). However, the most exciting dish that anyone ordered l was Southern Pan-Fried Chicken. The chicken was fried with white gravy on the side, buttermilk waffles with maple syrup, grilled caramelized vegetables, and a side of macaroni and cheese. As you can see from the picture, it is magnificent. 



I would highly recommend taking a trip to Founding Farmers. Check out the menu here for many more wonderful options!

5 comments:

  1. One of my favorite parts of fall is squash pastas. Nom. Also, love that you gave a drink run-down of FF. I think sometimes places with great selections get out-shined by the food all the time AKA chicken and waffles (which definitely does deserve a spotlight).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite places in DC. Everything there is completely organic shipped directly from the farm the owners of Founding Farmers run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh that all looks so good. Okay, you've convined me, I have to go - the skillet corn bread sealed the deal. I actually went there with a friend for dessert, but it was an hour-long wait so we just went to Coney Island instead, baha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this place. I love these drinks. I love love love this place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great place -- always solid food and fun vibes. looks like a good meal!

    ReplyDelete